Our tree is so sad...notice how dark it is outside when we are set to open gifts!
Our loot! I got a gift card to Zara and some cooking items! Jack's showing off his new watch, gloves, and oyster tray.
I didn't know about the Louis tradition of coffee cakes until a few days ago, but I quickly learned. Jack's grandmother and mom have made this for years, and I was instructed that it's not Christmas without it. Jack and I spent the majority of our Christmas Eve tending to his family recipe. We baked an incredible cinnamon sugar treat from scratch that we will be baking yearly from here on out. We had heard of so many last minute complications, and it was really involved, but for our first one ever, I think we did pretty good job! It was sooo good!
Along with the coffee cake, we had a great Christmas breakfast feast! After we ate way too much, we reclined on the couch for a movie before heading out for some fresh air and a walk through the city. We strolled through the Latin Quarter and into the Luxembourg Gardens. Today was the first day of sunshine that we have had in a while. It snowed earlier this week, and the gardens were still blanketed in pretty white.
A little window shopping...
Luxembourg Gardens
Bundled up...
Happy to find an English speaker to take our picture
It took us a while to warm up after our few hours in the 20 degree weather. We eventually began getting dinner ready. I know we write a lot about our meals, but this was our best ever. A sweet friend bought us a great bottle of Champagne for Christmas, and Jack used his new oyster tray at the raw bar around the corner. A plate of foie gras finished our starters off. Sooo French, huh?
After several phone calls from my family and Jack's (there's a lot of them), we were ready for the main event. Herb encrusted, beef tenderloin; potato gratin; and a mixed salad with pear, walnuts, and goat cheese. Bon appetite!
You will notice that the photos in this post are far above average from our normal work. My mom & dad treated Jack & I to a great new camera for Christmas. We love our new Canon Rebel! Check out the new slideshow feature on the right side of the blog for more high quality pictures of our perfect first Christmas together!
(also, though Christmas is coming to a close, I had to share my new favorite Christmas music: The Glee Cast Christmas Album to the right....Joyeux Noel!)

Congrats on your first coffee cake! Mine involved many tears and a trash can rescue by Carr. My recipe page is covered with lots of notes as I learned over the years. Biggest tip: Kitchen Aid mixer helps a lot. :-)
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas Jack & Leigh!! Looks like a great first Christmas together with delicious food (as usual) :). Can't wait until we get to see you guys next! Hope it is a wonderful New Year!!!
ReplyDeleteI love the picture of your tree with the pitch black sky in the background...you guys woke up before Evie!
ReplyDeleteThe pictures with your new camera are awesome! Such a great gift!
Jack, your coffee cake is out of control! I'm so impressed!!
Glad to see you guys had a great Christmas!
ReplyDeleteMMMM.. I love how you post about the food you ate- it's a very important element!
And congrats on the new camera! Enjoy!
Wow! Sounds like ya'll had an unforgettable first Christmas together! Super impressed with your coffee cake...I have yet to try and make it :) So exciting about your camera!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year! Your Christmas day sounded like my heaven. I think you might need to post some of the recipes from your feast - yummy! :)
ReplyDelete